Porsche Motorsport Notes.
Date. July 18, 2023
Lime Rock Park, Lakeville, Connecticut IMSA No. 7/23
Without the prototypes in attendance, the two IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship “GT only” races are an opportunity for Porsche 911 GT3 R customer teams to earn overall victories. This weekend’s Northeast Grand Prix at Lime Rock Park is the first of the two rounds hosting only the GT3 cars – the other being VIRginia International Raceway (VIR), August 25 – 27. The 1.474-mile, seven-turn Lime Rock Park is the “bullring” of the schedule with predominantly righthand turns, the clockwise circuit laps in only 51seconds. Joining the GTD and GTD Pro class GT3-spec machines will be a pair of Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 RS Clubsport race cars in the VP Racing Challenge support series. On track action begins on Friday, July 21 with the one-hour, 40-minute feature on Saturday, July 22., 12:10 p.m. ET/9:10 a.m. PT
GTD Pro. 1 Porsche entry
Porsche is in fourth place in GTD Pro Manufacturers Standings, - 155 points behind Lexus.
No. 9 Pfaff Motorsports. Bachler/Pilet
o Fourth place, 155 points out of the GTD Pro Driver and Team points lead.
o Pfaff is the defending GTD Pro class winners at LRP.
o Pfaff has won this event twice, 2019 (GTD class, Zach Robichon/Dennis Olsen) and 2022 (GTD Pro, Matt Campbell/Mathieu Jaminet).
o The 2019 victory was the first career IMSA WeatherTech win for Pfaff.
o Pilet has one win at Lime Rock (2017, GTLM, Porsche 911 RSR).
o Bachler has never raced at LRP. He will not until on-track action starts on Friday.
o Pfaff holds the LRP GTD Pro track record (51.079 seconds) set by Campbell in 2022.
o Both Bachler and Pilet drove Porsche 911 GT3 R race cars in the SRO GT World Challenge at Japan’s Suzuka International Circuit, July 14 – 16. Bachler won Race One with AAS Motorsport co-driving with Vutthikorn Inthraphuvasak. Pilet had a best finish of third place driving the R&B Racing Porsche with Wei Lu in Race Two.
GTD. 4 Porsche entries.
Porsche is in fifth place in GTD Manufacturers Standings, - 260 points behind BMW.
No. 77 VOLT Racing Wright Motorsports. Brynjolfsson/Hindman.
o Currently the highest-ranking Porsche GTD team, eighth in standings, - 543 points behind Paul Miller Racing.
o Hindman holds the GTD class track record (51.456 seconds). Set in 2019 in an Acura.
o Hindman has one GTD class win at Lime Rock Park (2019).
No. 80 AO Racing. Hyett/Priaulx
o 14th in GTD Team standings, -939 points behind Paul Miller Racing.
o This will be the first time for both Hyett and Priaulx to race at Lime Rock.
o Team principal and endurance race driver Gunnar Jeanette is no stranger to Lime Rock. Two of his 10 major sports car racing victories have come at Lime Rock (2001, 2010) including his first win in a Porsche 911 GT1.
No. 91 Kellymoss with Riley. Metni/van Berlo
o Ninth in the GTD standings with one win (WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca), - 575 points behind Paul Miller Racing.
o Kellymoss co-owner Victoria Thomas is being named an official ambassador for the Women in Motorsports North America organization. Thomas has been a leader in supporting women in the sport including spearheading the Kellymoss Female Driver Shootout which brought Sabré Cook to the Wisconsin-based organization’s Porsche Deluxe Carrera Cup North America program.
o This car will carry the Porsche onboard camera.
No. 92 Kellymoss with Riley. Brule/Udell
o 11th in the GTD standings, -586 points behind Paul Miller Racing.
o The No. 92 has yet to win in 2023 but has one pole position (Laguna Seca).
o Udell has one victory at Lime Rock Park (2016) racing a Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car.
IMSA VP SportsCar Challenge.
o Kellymoss with Riley will do double duty this weekend with the No. 27 entered for Porsche one-make veteran Sebastian Carazo.
o Angus Rogers will race the No. 5 Porsche for the KMW Motorsports with TMR Engineering team.
By the Numbers. Porsche In IMSA.
• 596. Number of IMSA victories for Porsche - Combined Chassis/Engine. (Record).
o 245 more than nearest rival Chevrolet.
• 52. Number of Porsche WeatherTech Championship victories (Record).
• 475. Number of IMSA pole positions by Porsche. (Record).
o 111 more than nearest rival Chevrolet.
By the Numbers. Porsche at Lime Rock.
• 7. Number of Porsche-built race cars at Lime Rock in the two series: WeatherTech (5) and VP SportsCar Challenge (2).
o WeatherTech – GTD Pro – Porsche 911 GT3 R – 1 – No. 9.
o WeatherTech – GTD – Porsche 911 GT3 R – 4 – Nos. 77, 80, 91, 92.
o VP SportsCar Challenge – GSX – Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 RS Clubsport – Nos. 5, 27.
• 21. Number of IMSA wins by Porsche at Lime Rock since 1999 (Manufacturer Record).
o 8 ahead of its nearest rival, Chevrolet.
• 4. Number of overall IMSA wins by Porsche at Lime Rock since 2004. 2007 (Penske RS Spyder), 2010 (Muscle Milk RS Spyder Evo), 2017 (Porsche GT Team 911 RSR), 2022 (Pfaff Porsche 911 GT3 R).
• 2001. Porsche Rennsport Reunion was first held at Lime Rock Park. Rennsport Reunion 7 will take place this year, September 28 – October 1, at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca.
• 2017. Porsche won both classes at Lime Rock. The No. 911 factory effort (Pilet/Werner) lead the No. 912 (Bruni/Vanthoor) for a 1-2 finish in GTLM. Park Place Motorsports (Bergmeister/Lindsey) won the GTD class in a 911 GT3 R.
• 2022. Most Recent Porsche Win. Pfaff Motorsports, Campbell/Jaminet, Porsche 911 GT3 R.
- Image courtesy of Porsche.